Saturday, October 22, 2011

So considerate!

My mom told me that when I was 2 or 3 that I had a very big problem with sharing.  It did not matter if it was mine or not, I would proclaim that everything I touch was mine.  Apparently, we went to one of my parents' friends house one day and as I was playing with their kids who were much older than I, my parents had to drag me out of the room as I kicked and scream, it's mine, all mine.  So naturally, I had a fear that EV would have this genetic disorder.  And to affirm this fear, as EV started talking more and more, she started saying "Mine" with such emphsis and clarity.  And to our surprise, when we went to go visit sweet baby Naomi, EV said, "No! Mine!" when we told her to give back Naomi her stuffed animals.  I also noticed that sometimes she would test me, she would come over to me, and take whatever I had in my hand and ever so slying take it and say in a very smooth way, "mine".  As if to say, "what are you going to do about it, momma?" 

So naturally, I started putting heavy emphasis on sharing and importantly, I made sure that I never said the word "mine".  When EV comes over and takes something from me, I just say, "EV that wasn't very nice, momma was using that" or "EV, you have to ask first."  When she challenges me with her sly, "mine."  I say to her, "can you share?"  When she claims that someone elses toy is hers I tell her that it is not hers and that she has to give it back.  So what's the result?  EV is now overly considerate.  I am not complaining but now if she gives a kiss to momma, she has to give a kiss to papa.  If she shares a melon with momma, then papa must have a melon as well.  If momma wants a bite of EV's food, I can't just go in there and take a bite or she gets very upset, I have to ask her first.  Not only is she super considerate but she is an equal opportunist. 

It's pretty amazing how much these little ones are like a sponge.  It makes me realize how important it is that I am careful with my words and even more careful with my actions.  They watch us and imitate us.  What a huge responsibility!  But I am so grateful that I have the opportunity for this responsibility.  How humbling and privileged that we have such an opportnity to shape someones life so closely.  Thank you, Lord!


1 comment:

  1. What a great photo! Yeah, I tell Taylor that Elijah is in the parrot stage. Everything is repeated back!

    ReplyDelete