Growing up I was always torn between my Korean heritage and American upbringing. Being around my family in public, at times, embarrassed me. They always seemed to shout really loud in Korean when speaking to each other, or clap as they laughed, or invaded the personal space of others. My mom always tried to barter whenever she went shopping; she was under the impression that you could go to the mall and negotiate a discount by just arguing. It also didn't help that I was one of the very few Asian kids in my elementary school at the time. Then, as I got older I became more proud of my Korean heritage. I didn't mind so much that I was different; that I could speak another language and that I often smelled like kimchi.
EV is blessed to have both sets of grandparents, although one set lives in Maryland, they are still very involved in her life (skype is a wonderful thing). We wouldn't have it any other way. GA grandma and her sister watched EV all day today and it's impressive how EV is able to interact with her and understand her even though grandma only speaks Korean. EV, we want you to embrace your Korean heritage - the language, culture, food, and even mannerisms. You are so blessed to have so many family members and friends that are willing and wanting to teach you and to ensure that you do not forget where your parents and grandparents come from. I look forward to the day that we can all visit Korea as a family.

I know how you feel. I used to be embarrassed too but am now proud. We are thinking about taking Korean classes together when Samuel gets older. Or maybe we can just spend more time with Korean family or you guys. LOL
ReplyDelete