I can't believe she's only 4 years old and she already has her first crush. His name is Byron. He goes to EV's school and wears a gold chain. She giggles every time she talks about him. I asked her what she likes about him and she says she just does. I asked her if he's smart and she giggles then says "no." I ask her if he's good-looking and she giggles again then shrugs. I ask her if he's funny and she giggles then says "yes."
Jimmy made a comment about how he wasn't expecting this until EV was 14. EV gasps and says, "Byron's cubby number is 14!!" Oh boy!!
A few weeks ago, Jimmy got the opportunity to meet this kid Byron. EV went up to him to say bye and he ignored her. He wouldn't even look her way. I asked EV if she still liked him even though he isn't very nice to her and she said "yes."
Then this week she confronted him. She said she asked him "why are you shutting me out?" but he never responded. She said she was sad but later that day he played with her and that made her happy.
I tell you, I have no idea how to handle this situation and so all I do is talk to her and try to understand her feelings and why she feels the way she does. It's actually more amusing to me than anything. She's so young and she can't really articulate her feelings but she has these feelings and they just make her giggle. I know that this is the first of many crushes she will have and I just hope that as she gets older, we will have the wisdom and patience to deal with all the drama that will come with it. But most importantly, I hope that she will feel secure in not only sharing her feelings with us but know that she is special and loved no matter what some boy says or does not say to her. I want her to be confident in who she is in Christ.
I have asked EV repeatedly to stop growing up, to be my baby forever, but she refuses. It's not easy being a parent.

No comments:
Post a Comment