I have been so bad about updating this but I promise to try to be better. There are so many moments and days that go by, when I think, "oh, I should write down what you just did or said" but then by the end of the day I forget or am too tired.
I cannot believe Evangeline is 17 months now. I know I say that all the time, but it still amazes me how quickly time flies. EV you have such an amazing personality. From the day you were born, your quiet and strong-willed nature was so evident, but now as you become more social and develop a sense of humor, your personality is really shining through. What's amazing to me is how even at 17 months you know how to "work" different people to get your way and as much as it's so clear that you are being manipulative I can't help but to find it absolutely adorable. You know how to work a crowd and even play hard to get. Oh boy, are we in trouble.
At the beginning of this month you moved up to the toddler class at school. That has definitely been an adjustment. Not only do you have new teachers and an new classroom, but you have to take a nap in a cot instead of a crib and you have more structure to your day. Although everything is new, I think you are really enjoying the older kids toys and opportunities to do big kid things. You love slides and playing at the park. Even though you are so fearful at times, you are also very curious and adventurous.
We have also started informally potty training you. You tell us constantly when you peepee or poopoo but lately you started letting us know before you go peepee and poopoo. So, you'll tell us and then we hold hands and run to the bathroom. I quickly undo your diaper, plop you onto the toilet, and we both look at each other while you wait (and sometimes even strain). Then you say, "all done", I put the diaper back on, and then you proceed to go in your diaper. You're a smart kid so I'm sure you'll get it eventually but I am not going to lie, it's not easy running to the bathroom every time you think you have to go. Last week we bought you a big girl bed as well. The transition to the new bed will be interesting and I'm sure I will have tons to write up about. We recently created a new play room for you as well and you love love love to play in here. The only difference is that it has a new desk, an EV size chair, and all your toys in one place. You love sitting at your desk and coloring or playing with play doh.
You have also become really good at doing puzzles. You have a few that you have mastered and you enjoy doing them over and over again. The puzzles are matching letters, shapes, numbers, and animals.
You continue to enjoy reading books. You're favorite as of late is "If you give a mouse a cookie" and "The quiet book." You have gotten really good at putting your finger to your mouth and saying "shhhh." You are not as afraid of your stuffed animals as you used to be, especially your dolls, but you continue to be afraid of other people's stuffed animals (until you warm up to them). You are still very uneasy when you are in a new surrounding and you get startled easily. Although you are known to be serious, you also have one of the most amazing smiles. It lights up a room and brightens up my day.
You are momma's little helper already. You love wiping down the floor with a rag and throwing things into the trash. When I put you in your highchair or carseat or stroller, you immediately grab your straps and try to buckle yourself in. You remind me if I forget to give you your bib, especially if the food is messy and you are constantly asking to wash your hands, especially after a diaper change. Yes, you insist that we wash YOUR hands after a diaper change. There was even a day when I was about to walk out without my lunch, and you start calling out to me, when I turned around and looked at you, you pointed to my lunch.
EV, you continue to be a great eater. You love food and you eat well. You also drink out of a regular cup. The only time you spill is when you are not paying attention and you knock it over, but you drink out of it perfectly, as if you have been drinking out of a cup your whole life. You also handle a fork and a spoon very well. You pretty much feed yourself now, and you do not like it when we try to help.
You also enjoy your sleep. You are now down to one nap successfully. When you nap at home, you will sleep for at least 2 hours solid. When you nap at school, we are lucky if you nap for an hour, but I am hoping that will change after you get used to sleeping on the cot. You are also so much verbal than you were even a week ago. Each day you pick up new words and it's so much fun hearing you attempt them. You are a very good communicator and you pick up on both verbal and non-verbal cues very quickly. You are saying so many words now, but the ones that are clear and that you say often are, "up" "bubbles" "bib" "bbang" (Korean word for bread) "mong mong" (Korean dog barking) "appa" "ooos" (shoes) "baby" "bye-bye" "hi" "eesssss" (cheese) "mul" (Korean for water). You say many many more words, but they come and go and are not always very clear. You also still use your sign language and your sounds for the words you do not feel comfortable saying. You love music and you love to dance. We were at Mina and Tae's wedding and during one of the songs, you clapped and danced the whole time. It was one of the most precious moments.
I promise to be better at documenting the little things, especially since those are my favorite moments. Daddy and I love you very much. Every night before we go to bed, we sneak into your room and just watch you sleep. In those moments, we pray for you and just enjoy watching you.







No comments:
Post a Comment