I have no problem with her playing pretend by herself. It's also amusing to watch her and Jimmy play because he can really get into it and EV loves it. But, I hate it and I feel absolutely guilty for hating it. I try and try but after about 5 minutes, I can't think of anything new. My stories are the same and I just get tired of having every stuffed animal doing the same ballet routine or every little princess figurine doing a special song for the stage. I would much rather do something more practical or read her a book or talk about our day or even do a craft.
Today was a rainy day so we decided to "play" with one of EV's birthday gifts called Shrinky Dinks. Let me tell you, this is one of the most genius crafts. EV spent hours coloring her shrinky dink fairies, flowers, gnomes, animals. Then we spent hours setting up the forest. Then we watched them shrink in the oven. I was able to spend hours with her putting everything together and even coming up with a couple stories. She was so into it that she didn't care when I wanted to stop "playing" and Jimmy was able to easily pick up where I left off. It was the perfect compromise between crafting and pretend play. Thank you Eunice and Eileen for this amazing craft/pretend gift.
If anybody has any other good pretend play ideas, please pass them along to me. I know I'm not going to be good at everything that EV likes to do but I feel bad for never wanting to do the one thing she ALWAYS wants to do. I already have enough momma guilt for feeling like I don't spend enough time with her. So, I am grateful for days like today when I can enjoy the time I am spending with her.


No comments:
Post a Comment